ALERT: CMS and CDC Update Guidance on Testing, Visitation, and Activities in Response to COVID-19 Vaccination (April 27, 2021)
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated guidance for long term facilities today in response to COVID-19 vaccination. The following key changes have now been made:
- Residents and visitors may visit without distancing and source control masks if alone in the resident’s room and the resident and visitor are fully vaccinated. If the visitor is not vaccinated, they can visit with a fully vaccinated resident alone in the resident’s room without distancing while wearing well-fitting source control masks.
- Communal dining and activities may occur without physical distancing if all residents are vaccinated.
- Vaccinated health care personnel no longer need to undergo routine testing, but should continue to be tested after exposure, during an outbreak, or if experiencing symptoms.
AHCA/NCAL has provided a detailed summary of these updates.
The new guidance can be found here:
- CDC Updated Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations in Response to COVID-19 Vaccination
- CMS QSO Memo on Nursing Home Visitation
- CMS QSO Memo on Testing
ALERT: CMS Updates Nursing Home Guidance with Revised Visitation Recommendations (March 10, 2021)
For additional details on the revised nursing home visitation guidance released 03/10/2021, visit here: https://www.cms.gov/medicareprovider-enrollment-and-certificationsurveycertificationgeninfopolicy-and-memos-states-and/nursing-home-visitation-covid-19-revised
The CMS press release on this revised nursing home visitation guidance can be found here: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-updates-nursing-home-guidance-revised-visitation-recommendations
A Fact Sheet can be found here: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/cms-updates-nursing-home-guidance-revised-visitation-recommendations
ALERT: CMS Guidelines for Nursing Facilities and ICF/IIDs.
Also – March 3 Advisory Memo from DPSQA/OLTC re: Visitation Guidance
ALERT: CMS Releases Revised Criteria for Conducting Focused Infection Control Surveys and Survey FAQs
CMS has released updated guidance on the frequency of focused infection control (FIC) surveys as well as providing frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding health, emergency preparedness (EP), and life safety code (LSC) surveys. (01/04/2021)
ALERT: CMS Adds Six New COVID-19 ICD-10 Codes Effective January 1, 2021
In an off-cycle update to the 2021 ICD-10-CM Coding Guidelines posted in December in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) implemented six new diagnosis codes into the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM), effective January 1, 2021.
- New Testing Requirements (Effective Sept. 2, 2020)
- Click here to check county positivity rate and testing frequency.
- New Rule
- CMS Testing Requirements: Steps to Get Started - This resource is geared toward providers who are not routinely testing and need to quickly implement a testing program.
- AHCA/NCAL High-Level Summary - CMS New Reporting and Testing Requirements for Nursing Homes
- AHCA/NCAL Analysis and Summary of Additional Provisions in the CMS Interim Final Rule
- AHCA/NCAL Summary of QSO-20-38-NH and QSO-20-37-CLIA-NH - This resource summarizes the QSO memos and the guidance established by CMS for testing and reporting.
- Rapid Point-of-Care Antigen Devices: What SNF's Need to Know
- QSO-20-38-NH - Interim Final Rule, Updated Testing Requirements (8/26/20)
- QSO-20-37-CLIA-NH - Interim Final Rule, Updated Reporting Requirements (8/26/20)
- CMS Press Release - "CMS posts guidance for implementing new testing requirements in nursing homes and labs" (8/26/20)
- CMS Press Release - "Trump Administration Strengthens COVID-19 Surveillance with New Reporting and Testing Requirements for Nursing Homes, Other Providers"(8/25/20)
- Targeted COVID-19 Training for Nursing Homes
- Click HERE to access the training on the CMS Quality, Safety & Education Portal.
- CMS Press Release - "Trump Administration Launches National Training Program to Strengthen Nursing Home Infection Control Practices" (8/25/20)
- FAQs for ICF/IID Facilities (6/10/20)
- COVID Nursing Home Compare Data (6/4/20)
- Nursing Home Data Release FAQs (PDF) (6/4/20)
- Infographic: Nursing Home Reporting Numbers for 5/31/20 (PDF) (6/4/20)
- Posting Nursing Home Inspections (6/4/20)
- Releasing COVID Nursing Home Data (6/4/20)
- COVID-19 Survey Activities, CARES Act Funding, Enhanced Enforcement for Infection Control Deficiencies, and Quality Improvement Activities in Nursing Homes (6/1/20)
- Toolkit for States to Mitigate COVID-19 in Nursing Homes (PDF) UPDATED (November 2020 Version 14)
- Nursing Home Reopening Recommendation FAQs (PDF) (5/18/20)
- COVID-19 Focused Survey for Nursing Homes
- May 11th Letter from CMS Administrator, Seema Verma (5/11/20)
- CMS Memo - Interim Final Rule Updating Requirements for Notification of Confirmed and Suspected COVID-19 Cases Among Residents and Staff in Nursing Homes (May 6, 2020) Ref: QSO-20-29-NH (5/6/20)
- Guidance on Notification Requirements of Confirmed and Suspected COVID-19 Cases Among Nursing Home Residents and Staff (5/6/20)
- Accelerated and Advanced Payments Fact Sheet (PDF) UPDATED (4/26/2020)
- Nursing Home Five-Star Quality Rating Updates, Nursing Home Staff Counts, and Frequently Asked Questions (4/24/20)
- New Nursing Home Requirements for Notification of Confirmed COVID-19 Among Residents and Staff (PDF) (4/19/20)
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Long-Term Care Facility Transfer Scenarios (PDF) (4/13/20)
- Guidance for Infection Control and Prevention of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IIDs) and Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTFs) (4/8/20)
- Guidance for Infection Control and Prevention Concerning Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Dialysis Facilities UPDATED (4/8/20)
- COVID-19 Long-Term Care Facility Guidance (PDF) (4/3/20)
- Letter requesting hospitals report data in connection with their efforts to fight the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (PDF) (3/30/20)
- Revised CMS Guidance for Infection Control and Prevention of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Nursing Homes (3/13/20)
- CMS Memo - Prioritization of Survey Activities (Mar. 23, 2020) Ref: QSO-20-20-All (3/23/20)